Sunday, March 6, 2011

Save Me From Republicans And Deliver Me From "Chief"

Two very interesting things happened to me this week.
On Friday evening, I had the unexpected pleasure of attending a taping of Real Time with Bill Maher and Gloria Steinem happened to be part of the panel. She is a personal hero of mine, and this was a thrill. That's Ms. Jacqui to ya'll because of this woman, pretty cool.
On Tuesday, I was hit on by a Republican. This was less thrilling, though the juxtaposition is amusing.
A trusted friend put it best when I told her about this happening: "Republicans don't even like women". Generally, I hate generalizations. However, this one has a certain ring to it for me.
He is a good friend of people that I adore, so I have it on good authority that he is a well meaning "good guy". Alas, it is my opinion that smart women don't sleep with republicans, even the well meaning ones.
You see, when he told me that he was reading the book George Bush "wrote" (come on, it's unlikely he can actually read the book let alone write it), I threw up in my mouth, just a little, OK a lot.
I mentioned this event to the phone sexer and he said "Jesus, does he know he doesn't live in Mississippi?" God bless the phone sexer for that. He is such a wonderfully sexy democrat I am now finding it challenging to manage my expectations.... But I digress.
Seeing Gloria Steinem speak reminded me that it is not only my own commitment phobia that makes me run in horror from a nice republican.
House Republicans recently used their new majority to pass a bill cutting funding for a whole smorgasbord of programs that serve underprivileged women and children. This includes $747M in cuts to funding for WIC (nutrition for underprivileged women, children, and infants), over a billion in cuts to Head Start education programs, and the elimination of tax breaks for private employers who offer health plans that cover abortions. This is what Republicans call "Winning".
Jon Stewart put it better that I could " ...The republicans in Congress are saying: You can't prevent an unwanted child, and you can't get care if you do get pregnant, and we won't give you any help feeding the kid after it's born, BUT those 2 mins when that skull is crowning, your baby is the most precious thing on earth".
Abortions constitute about 2% of the services Planned Parenthood provides and there is already a law in place preventing federal funds from being allocated to abortion services. So, congrats republicans, you just cut vital funding for HIV tests, cancer screening and birth control to name a few. Oh wait, I almost forgot my personal favorite. They want to close the pesky loop hole that allows federal funding for abortions as a result of rape, incest, or instances when the health of the mother is at risk. Young republicans, this is Super Sexy to mention during courting, if I do say so myself.
So, No, I don't think it's "cute" when you forward me republican propaganda. Additionally, I don't think it's funny when you reply "OK chief" to my request not to be put on any republican email lists, not even in jest. This brings me to another generalization I feel comfortable making. As a rule, do not call any woman you are interested in "Chief" under any circumstances, EVER. You just made me envision bludgeoning you.
Phone sex with a hot democrat it is.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Super jealous you got to see Bill Maher AND Gloria Steinem in one day

    2. I hate that the title of the book George Bush "wrote" is now making its way into the every day lexicon. "Decision Points" was used somewhere in every power point presentation I've seen in the last six months.

    3. Smart women don't sleep with Republicans because they know that Republicans hate women. Especially the smart ones.

    ReplyDelete